Tools Needed :
Ø Samsung Galaxy Handset
What is CSC (Consumer Software Customization) ?
All Samsung Galaxy Series firmwares have three components:
The name of a firmware contains all these details. Thus, PDA refers to the build version of the software/firmware, Phone refers to the baseband/modem version, and CSC (Consumer Software Customization) denotes to a specific geographical region or carrier. The CSC code contains the info about software packages specific to a particular region, carrier branding and also APN settings for data connection. In this way, unless the PDA, PHONE and CSC codes do not match correctly, you will not be able to update your device over Samsung Kies or via OTA.
How to Identify CSC in Galaxy S3 :
Now remember that the product code and firmware version differs from one device to another according to the region or country where it is sold. In most cases you can find out the country or region of a device for which it has been made by referring to the firmware version. In the above screenshot, for example, look at the Baseband version that is: I9300XXALE8.
· I9300″ is the device model number, that is Galaxy S3;
· “XX” denotes to the Country/Region/Network code, that is Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom;
· “LE” points to the date of release of this firmware (L is the 12th character of the alphabet and E is the 5th, so it is May 12);
· Finally “8″ shows the Revision version of the firmware.
Again, as the CSC of a Samsung Galaxy phone firmware contains the code-name of the country/region for which it is build, you can change it to tell Samsung servers that your phone is actually from a different country/region and get official updates for that country. It often happens that a firmware update is released for a particular country and you do not get it in your country. You grab the firmware file but are afraid that you will not be able to get the future official updates on your Android device if you flash a firmware that is not meant for your country.
How to Change CSC Code ?
NOTE : performing the CSC change action will factory reset your phone. It means it will take your phone to the status as it was when you bought it. All data present on the internal storage will be wiped. Therefore, do not forget to backup you data before you proceed.
Steps To Be Followed :
· Open your phone’s dialer and type the following code: *#272*Phone’s IMEI Here#
· You can find your phones IMEI number on a white sticker beneath phone’s battery.
· You will see a pop-up screen with a list of CSC codes.
· Select the CSC that you want and tap on “Install”.
· Your phone will be reboot automatically.
· Congrats! Your Samsung Galaxy phone’s CSC has been changed successfully.
This trick works fine with Samsung Galaxy devices with Android 4.0.4
If you have upgraded to jelly bean firmware, Please follow this steps
· Turn off your Samsung Galaxy phone
· Boot it into Recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up+ Home+Power keys simultaneously or a few seconds. Release the keys when you see the Recovery mode with blue text.
· Scroll down to ‘wipe data/factory reset option using Volume key and select it using the Power key.
· Also wipe the cache.
· Then select “reboot system now’.
· When the phone boots up, try the CSC change code again.